My Dear Friends – the change in the weather yesterday meant that I was able to sit at my living room window and take notice of the people who wandered past.  I had a quiet morning, which was only broken by a welcome visit from Mrs M, who came for coffee and her favourite shortbread biscuits.  I am glad that I had replenished my stock – imagine the consternation had I run out!

Mrs M seemed a little subdued when she arrived.  Now that could be because she had slept badly, or it may have been the seven gin and tonics that she had consumed last night.  I told her that she shouldn’t be drinking so much alcohol at one time.  She said that it didn’t matter, because she didn’t drive.

She perked up quickly though and was quite chatty after two cups of coffee and three shortbread biscuits – not that I’m counting!  She also took a liking to a ball of my James C Brett Northern Lights yarn which I hadn’t hidden quickly enough.  However, I explained that unfortunately I couldn’t let her take one, as I’m crocheting a blanket for a friend.  It’s very difficult to say no to someone who manages to look so pathetic while muttering something along the lines of “you surely wouldn’t begrudge a “mature lady” just one ball when I can see that you have several of them.

On this occasion I stood my ground saying that if there is any yarn remaining once I have completed this project then she will be welcome to have it.  I don’t actually know what she does with my yarn as when she knits she certainly isn’t using any yarn which originated here.  So as she couldn’t have the yarn she really wanted, it cost me four balls of another James C Brett yarn – the Harmony in DK.  This is another lovely one, and I do think that Mrs M did rather well.  It was packed away in her bag very quickly.

Sorry I’ve wandered away from what I was saying.  I asked if she had any plans for the rest of the day.  She said she hadn’t so I suggested that a nap might be good.  She agreed with me but as we continued to talk her phone rang.  On previous occasions she ignored the phone and left it to go to voicemail – however yesterday she answered the call.  It was very short conversation and Mrs. M just said yes and no a couple of times.  When she had finished she put the phone back in her bag and stood up as she was ready to leave.  She then toddled off down the corridor to her own apartment.  I stood in the doorway just to make sure that she arrived safely.

After I had washed the cups and plates I decided to sit in the armchair close to the window.  I didn’t want to miss anything that could be helpful in finding out who is really responsible for the mysterious brown envelopes and their contents. The manager Mr Roach has a face like thunder at the moment, and several of the courier firms haven’t been seen here for days.  I don’t know whether these two things are connected but it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

What did surprise me, however, was the sight of Mrs. M dressed in her best two piece skirt suit with plain co-ordinating blouse underneath.  I was pleased that it didn’t have one of those pussy-bow ties at the neck – I don’t think that anyone looks good wearing that style, although I do remember a certain lady prime-minister in the 1980s who wore them regularly.  Even more surprising was the sight of Mrs. M linking arms with the smartly dressed elderly they would venture on to the sands. 

I stayed in my chair, only leaving for a few minutes at a time to make a cup of tea.  Mrs. M hadn’t mentioned anything about going out when she was here only a couple of hours earlier.  I was sure that it wasn’t a spur of the moment liaison as they were both very smartly dressed.  It would have taken Mrs. M a considerable length of time to get ready for such an outing.  She really likes to be dressed appropriately for every occasion.

After a couple of hours Mrs. M and Mr. S returned but they weren’t alone – no they had a much younger person with them.  Could she perhaps be a grand-daughter, or great niece?  The other thing I noticed was the parcel – it didn’t look heavy, and it wasn’t very big.  The young lady was carrying it very carefully as though it contained something that could break. 

The three people were laughing and chattering as they walked back towards our building.  They obviously all knew each other well, but I just found it very strange that Mrs. M hadn’t told me about her outing.  Friends tell each other things like this, don’t they?  I decided to let Mrs. M tell me when she wanted to, but if she hasn’t mentioned it by the time we’ve finished our next cup of tea, I will definitely ask her.

Just as the three of them turned in towards the gates a motorcycle driven by a person dressed in all black leathers, drove up onto the pavement and the pillion passenger sitting behind grabbed the parcel.  The bike then roared away speeding as it turned the corner. 

My goodness, Mrs. M is lying on the ground, the young person has also been knocked off her feet and Mr. S is lying slumped against a parked car.  I grabbed my phone and dialled 999 and asked for an ambulance and the police.  After briefly explaining, the woman at the other end of the phone said that they had been despatched and would be with us very shortly.  She asked for me to stay where I was and someone will come to talk to me. 

There is a small crowd forming around Mrs. M and her friends.  What was in the parcel and why was it necessary to act so violently towards two elderly people and their young companion?

I’m really sorry to leave you now, but you will understand how much it upset me.  I needed to find out how my friends were and see whether the police officers had any news.  I think it very unlikely so soon after the incident so I will return when I have information.  Till then – As Always –

With Love – Jan xx

Published by Jan

I'm retired, disabled and after sudden death of wonderful husband, have moved closer to my son, daughter-in-law and baby, Charlie. I live in sheltered housing at the bottom end of the scale called Independent Living. I had been in an online Knit and Natter group for a couple of years before Ian died and the members of the group were and still are a wonderful support to me. Since moving here I have now got my own little Facebook group where the members are now my friends and extended family. It was suggested that I write a blog - so here we are!!

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Cakes, Bakes and Simple Suppers

An Everyday Recipe Book


The strange events in and around a retirement complex

The Blog

The latest news on and the WordPress community.

%d bloggers like this: